Using Mediation at Protests and Demonstrations
Free ‘online’ taster sessions:
Choice of dates in August and September 2022
Centre for Good Relations promotes the use of ‘civic mediation’ across Scotland and beyond. We seek constructive ways through societal challenges, looking to build relationships which can help bring about effective change, and working to transform conflict so as to achieve long-term positive outcomes.
With partner organisations, we ran the Keeping Our Cool initiative at COP26 in Glasgow last November. This developed our understanding of how mediation can help at protests and demonstrations – and our awareness that such approaches might be increasingly needed.
Our taster session combines the learning from Keeping Our Cool with inputs on crowd dynamics, consideration of different forms of campaigning and protests, and discussion on how civic mediation approaches can be applied in the context of live protests and demonstrations.
Free online taster session:
Take part in an online two hour ‘taster session’. This will be run on Zoom. There are two opportunities to take part (you can choose which one you want to sign up for):
- Monday 22 August (evening session), 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm
- Thursday 8 September (afternoon session), 2 pm to 4 pm
The taster session will introduce the issues and give some information about our approach. There’ll be activities and discussions which will give all participants a chance to share their views and questions.
Who should attend?
- Mediators and facilitators who would like to develop existing skills and use new approaches outwith the ‘traditional’ toolbox
- People working on relevant policy areas
- Those who help manage and facilitate marches and parades
- Campaigners who help organise protests and demonstrations
- Anyone interested in working with others on the possibility of using civic mediation as an approach to transform conflict in our society.
Register here to attend:
Online Taster Sessions:
- Mon 22 August, 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/373283620357
- Thurs 8 September, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/373291564117
For further information on the above, please contact Mike Waite at Centre for Good Relations. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 07799 614707